Utah State University is seeking nominations for its 27th annual Diversity Awards. The USU Diversity Awards recognize individuals or organizations on campus and in communities served by USU who have made significant contributions to diversity and inclusion. Nominations are due by Nov. 30, 2020.
“USU has held the diversity awards for the past 26 years to celebrate and honor the contributions and achievements of members of our Aggie family and community related to diversity, equity and inclusion,” said USU President Noelle Cockett. “Equity and inclusion work is critical to USU’s mission and there are amazing students, faculty, staff and community members whose efforts are helping us achieve a more equitable and inclusive USU.”
USU Diversity Awards are given in the following categories: Student, Faculty, Administrator, Staff, Individual Community Member and Community Organization. Nominees selected to receive the award must:
- Model behavior that promotes diversity.
- Nourish acceptance of individual differences.
- Strive to enhance academic, employment or community relations among people who are different.
- Integrate diversity concepts and values into academic curriculum, management functions or community service.
- Develop methods for increasing and valuing diversity among students, faculty, staff or local businesses/associations.
- Maximize opportunities to achieve diversity.
“A good nominee is someone who is an example of equity and inclusion on a USU campus or in the community,” President Cockett said. “It is someone who goes above and beyond to incorporate equity and inclusion into their work, their service and/or their teaching.”
Last year’s awardees included the Cache Refugee Immigrant Connection (Community Organization), Ekeoma Ezeh (Student), Melanie Domenech Rodriguez (Faculty), Jeannie Sur (Staff) and Ivan Gabriel Cardona (Community Individual).
Nominations for the 2020-21 Diversity Awards are due by Nov. 30, 2020. To nominate an individual or organization, write a nomination letter addressing the award criteria. For more information on USU Diversity Awards and how to nominate, visit www.usu.edu/equity/diversity-awards.